This scenario is flexible, individualistic and enabled and is relationship driven.
Work is flexible and network based. Individuals organize in communities in order to build and leverage relationships. Learning and development happens through communities.
Characteristics of this scenario are:
- Community of practice: hyper connectivity (also physical) inside community – low connectivity outside community
- Interest/passion driven
- Many repositories of content
- Wide variation of roles
- Development: peer, self directed
- Personal networks, professional connections
- Community is curator
- Personal value aligned (purpose, meaning)
- Subject Matter Experts emerge from community
News from the future
Bert De Coutere has created some news from the future:
Leadership in the big data world
In the In-Crowd world with its flexible and relationship-driven work organisation, leadership in communities is purpose and value driven and people rise by their merits. The cartoon version is “Community says no”. (also from Bert De Coutere):
An interesting book about learning in communities is Etienne Wenger’s Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity.
Hashtag and comments
Please use the hashtag #incrowd in combination with #lrnscen when referring to this scenario. Comments on this page are also much appreciated!